This week I made the inevitable leaves for my green polymer clay challenge. I started off with something else that was a complete disaster (I’ll see if I can rescue it some time). So I started again by making a leaf cane using this free tutorial (which was actually one of the main reasons I bought and extruder) and then I made lots of leaf buttons.
It was fun trying different shapes and sizes. Some of them (not pictured) were too thin and snapped. I couldn’t resist adding a touch of silver acrylic paint to highlight the vein texture.
I made wire loops for some of the buttons. The oval-shaped loop worked best for being large enough to fit the button through, but not so big that the button fell out by accident. I also like that it looks a bit leafy too.
I made a sheet of patterned clay using slices of leaf cane which I cut into a doughnut shape. I used silver coloured wire to make a bar and loop to complete the toggle.
Then I spend a ridiculous amount of time figuring out how to add a shank loop to the back of the bead that I made using the hole from the doughnut. (Sorry I forgot to photograph the back.) The wire loop is one of the round ones that was too big for the leaf button.