I spent my clay time this weekend working on something else, so I went back to my comfort zone yesterday and made some more patchwork beads for this week of my 2015 Polymer Clay Challenge.
They are always fun to make.
But what was I working on this weekend? I’ll be baaa-ck soon to show you 😉
I spent far to long making beads this week, considering the amount of unpacking I still need to do.
I started off last week making some double-sided sequins to go with the water lilies beads. I made some earrings too which I’ll try to show you soon. (My to-do list is experiencing a bit of a traffic jam.)
Then I listed a pair of earrings on Etsy, and I thought it would be fun to make more gradient stack beads in blue.
The rustic stack beads came out longer than I had expected so I thought they’d be good in a necklace. So then I had to make some spacer beads to go with them.
Then, because I’d made more than 3 beads the same, I came up with these beads which I think of as “tutu beads”. I made a pair, thinking of earrings, but I think they will become the focal of the necklace I have in mind. I just need to order some findings so I can complete it. I’ll put that onto my to-do list…
Since I was disappointed with last week’s pendant I wanted to make something really nice this week, but I’m still cleaning the old house and at one point I thought I’d have to write a blog saying I hadn’t made anything at all :(. Then I realised it was Wednesday morning not Thursday so there was still time. Whew! I took the evening off from unpacking and made these green polymer clay beads.
I made a cane with layers of green which I sliced/squashed using a credit card. Then I used my method of making a Natasha bead round (do you think I can call them Cate Beads?). The two patterns below are from the same cane, but I used different orientations of the Natasha cube to make the poles.
I finally got round to making a pair of head pins for earrings. I also made another earring pair by making the beads oval and adding gold mica powder tips. They looked a bit lonely in their own photo, but they are there in the top right of the first photo in this blog.
Maybe next week I’ll have found all my tools and have time to make something amazing. 😉
I had so much fun making my Oddment necklace, I made another one in slightly different colours. This necklace includes polymer clay beads made by Rebekah Payne which I won back at the start of 2014. Can you spot them?
I also included polymer clay beads that I made myself, glass lampwork beads and filigree metal beads which I reclaimed from jewellery that I found in the charity shop.
Here are a few more photos since the necklace looks quite different depending on the rotation around the neck.
Some of the beads I used to make this necklace are currently available in my Etsy bead shop.
I’m collecting up a few more stashes of beads so I expect there will be more of these necklaces soon 😉
This week I made yellow polymer clay beads again. I started off with some macaroni beads with random patches of colour made from leftover mokume gane sheet rolled to the thinnest setting and torn into small pieces. The result reminded me of painting watercolours onto wet paper.
I also made a curved piece that I was going to cut up into smaller beads, but I like it too much as a whole. I think I’ll make it into a torque necklace once I’ve done a bit more sanding and tidied up the ends.
Then because it was the Easter weekend, I decided I had some time to revisit the retro beads I made earlier in the year. I thought perhaps if I made several all together it would be quicker and more efficient. It wasn’t really 😐
Almost as soon as I’d made them I wanted to switch some of the colours around. I have an idea about what’s worrying me with these beads and I’ll get back to you as soon as I’ve figured out how to articulate it.
I usually post my weekly polymer clay challenge piece on a Thursday, but I decided to do it early this week as I wanted to make some kaleidoscope humbug beads and today is the last day of orange. 😮
I didn’t manage to get the beads the same size as each other, but I did get better at not distorting the kaleidoscope pattern. I also got the corners sharper on the later beads (if you compare with the first bead on the right).
I can’t believe it’s already time to change colour palette! I thought I’d get bored after a week, and need work with several different palettes based around orange. As it is I feel I was only just getting warmed up and I’m a little sad to be saying goodbye to orange.
A couple of years ago I made a necklace of multi-coloured polymer clay beads. I call them Sherbet Beads because with the hint of shimmering clay and the rough texture they remind me of the sweetie necklaces I had as a child.
For some reason, although I love the beads, I never wore the necklace much so I decided to take it apart and use the beads to make earrings. Here are some of the earrings I made…
Some have already made it to my Etsy shop, some are on their way, and some have already found new homes :).