But what’s inside?
Yummy! I have noticed that my camera does peculiar things with the colour purple so the various shades of the beady allsorts don’t show up well in the photo. I’m really excited to have a selection of bead caps and charms to play with. 🙂
Here’s a close up of the elegant embroidered focal pendant. I love the flower toggle, it’s so pretty. The crochet beads are amazing, I wonder how they are made!
This month I have made a pair of earrings for the Art Bead Scene monthly challenge. I used some of my polymer clay beads because the geometric pattern reminded me of the painting. I used my round Stroppel bead method to make the beads.
I wanted to incorporate the flower motif in the earrings, so I used some links from an old bracelet and I added an additional spiral at the bottom. I was tempted to make some wire roses, but I didn’t have the time to practice getting them nice.
This month I have made another Etsy Treasury inspired by the Art Bead Scene monthly challenge painting. I loved the colours and the repeated spirals of the roses.
For this month’s ABS challenge I have made a micro macrame wrap bracelet with a selection of my handmade beads. The muse took a slightly scenic route this time so hang in there…
First of all the inspiration painting: I loved the vivid red and purple colour combination and the rough surface texture that looked almost chalky.
I want to improve my cane building skills, so I have been thinking it’s time for me to practice building canes to a planned design. Thanks to my toddler I remembered the “scribble patterns” I used to make as a child (i.e. draw a scribble and colour in the shapes) and I thought this would be a good place to start.
I made a rough mockup on the computer to test my idea. Now I had an abstraction of an abstract painting which amused me but…
I didn’t like it so much multiplied out into a kaleidoscope pattern.
Going back to the earthy texture of the painting I was reminded of the Cosmic Ceramic tutorial I still haven’t been able to play with. So I decided to combine the ceramic tutorial with my cane design and make a toggle to use with Sherri Stokey’s micro macrame wrap bracelet tutorial.
The result is pretty difficult to photograph!
I used silk yarn instead of nylon cord (I was too impatient to order it) so the knotting is finer than I had hoped. I had intended only to make the toggle and use existing beads for the bracelet, but I ended up making all the beads from scratch. It was a fun exercise to make a variety of beads using the same colours. I even ended up with an extra set of beads that I love but the pattern seemed too crisp in comparison to the painting so they will go to my Etsy shop.
My piece for the ABS August monthly challenge is taking a little longer than I hoped. In the mean time here’s a wish list of lovelies based on the inspiration painting colours. Red and purple – what’s not to love?
My wishlist for the August ABS monthly challenge.
February’s theme from the Scottish Polymer Clay Guild is “Hearts and Roses”. Initially I planned an elaborate mosaic of a rose, however I have had some complications with my pregnancy so I have been spending a lot of time in hospital under observation. Even when I am at home I haven’t been doing much claying because the stress has knocked my mojo.
My sister gave me a glass lantern so I could burn a candle for baby. It was plain clear glass, with a raised heart shape on the front. I decided it would be simpler (and more appropriate) to decorate the lantern instead.
I made a marbled cane and applied it as thinly as I could (so the candle light would still shine through). Then I got slightly carried away with some silver filigree. Once the clay was baked I had to add some Super Glue around the edges of the filigree to stop it lifting.
Unfortunately I discovered that my toaster oven was not big enough to bake the lantern standing up, so instead of using polymer clay to decorate all around I decided to use glass paint on the inside. (I have been doing some experiments with polymer clay and glass paint and they seem to react and get sticky so I didn’t want them to come into contact with each other.)
I’m not really happy with the paint effect as it ended up a bit streaky. I wanted a dip-dyed gradient effect with layers of paint drips flowing upwards. I used a clear medium to get a more pastel shade of purple, but it seems this prevented the drips. The pure paint dripped, but is a bit darker than I intended.
I think I prefered it before I added the paint, although the lantern does have a nice purple glow when lit 🙂
We are nearly halfway through the 52 Earrings challenge (oops that means half the year gone too!), so the theme for week 25 is “Half”*.
This week I made two pairs of earrings in contrasting colours to co-ordinate with a double sided slide pendant. The earrings are each half a circle, and you can wear the pair that matches the pendant, or mix it up and have one of each.
I’m pleased with the mokume gane surface on the yellow-green side, but I think the purple side was a bit too well blended so most of the interesting surface was sanded off. I have some ideas to jazz it up so you may see these guys again…
* There are only themes for the odd number weeks (therefore not week 26).