I’m a little bit late posting my colour recipes for the next step in my 2015 Spectrum Year (if you don’t mind, just hop in your time machine and read this last Tuesday). We went away for the weekend and all of a sudden it was time for indigo! I’m beginning to suspect that I could spend a whole year on each palette :o.
These recipes are for Fimo Professional, and the numbers represent percentages. I wrote a blog explaining how I use them for mixing colours.
Mid Blue Grey
- 65 white
- 10 true magenta
- 23.5 true blue
- 1.5 black
- 30 true magenta
- 70 true blue
- 59.5 true magenta
- 39.5 true blue
- 1 black
- 50 white
- 17 true yellow
- 25 true red
- 8 black
- 99 white
- 0.45 true yellow *
- 0.05 true green *
- 0.5 black
* (0.5% mix of 90 true yellow 10 true green)
- 95 white
- 1.5 true magenta
- 3.5 true blue
The colours don’t adhere very strictly to the inspiration palette because I wanted the schemes to play nicely together. I decided to increase the differences between the indigo and the purple palettes so the purples are more blue. I also desaturated the green to a beige colour rather than introduce another green (the ones in the green palette were too bright for the other colours).
Yum, those hints of purple are starting to make me drool :).
I think they’d make a nice pair of vintage style clip on earrings :). Maybe I should make another pair without the shanks so I can glue on earring findings?
Like last week, I cut out the pattern slightly off centre – although I think I should have offset the pattern a bit more to get the asymmetric look I wanted.
My daughter woke me up early this week so I made a kaleidoscope cane using my blue palette. Unfortunately I didn’t end up with that much time to actually make beads, so I’ve only got one pair of headpins to show for this week of the 2015 Polymer Clay Challenge.
I cut the sheet of kaleidoscope pattern out of alignment (on purpose), so the patterns on each side are slightly different.
I made earrings using some of the green headpins I made and it was so much fun I think I’ll probably do the same with these.
I don’t usually find time to make much more than my weekly beads for the Spectrum Challenge, but I did manage to finish this micro macrame and chunky bead necklace.
It’s quite a relief to finally finish it as I bought the red accent beads to go with the polymer clay focal bead more than two years ago!
I also made a polymer clay and wire toggle clasp to complete the necklace.
I think it would look great with a steampunk corset dress. Although, sadly, I don’t have one to check ;).
I wanted to do something a bit different for the blue focal beads I made this week of my 2015 Polymer Clay Challenge. I started off with some dissolving packing peanuts which I threaded onto wire and wrapped with strings of polymer clay. I couldn’t find my extruder, so the snakes are more irregular and shorter lengths than I had intended. Then I added some spots and dots both for decorative purposes and for structural support to keep adjacent strings joined.
After I’d baked it, I dissolved the packing peanuts in water. I left gaps because I wanted the interaction of internal and external space, but I think I took it too far. As I was contemplating if it would be structurally sound, I dropped it and it broke in two places. I set about repairing it with liquid clay and more dots, but each time I baked it to cure the new clay it broke in a new place (I think due to the polymer clay being softer when warmed up).
I also made a focal flower bead using thick slices of cane which was safer bet both structurally and aesthetically.
Then I decided I liked the two pieces together, so I attached the flower bead using fine wire and glass seed beads.
I added a few more dots to cover up the wire joins and when I baked those it broke again :(. Now we’ve reached a truce – I won’t touch it, and it won’t break anymore. So it’s an interesting look, but I need to work out some structural issues.
These earrings don’t allow you to travel through time, and they are not from the future. Instead I made them a couple of weeks ago, but I’ve only just got round to photographing them, so they are a bit out of sync with my 2015 Polymer Clay Challenge posts. So it’s not quite as exciting as it sounds, but I think they are nice earrings.
They feature my double-sided sequin beads, so the underside is a lighter blue.
I also made some earrings with just the sequin beads.
It’s hard to convey in the photographs the way the colours change with the viewing angle.
I spent far to long making beads this week, considering the amount of unpacking I still need to do.
I started off last week making some double-sided sequins to go with the water lilies beads. I made some earrings too which I’ll try to show you soon. (My to-do list is experiencing a bit of a traffic jam.)
Then I listed a pair of earrings on Etsy, and I thought it would be fun to make more gradient stack beads in blue.
The rustic stack beads came out longer than I had expected so I thought they’d be good in a necklace. So then I had to make some spacer beads to go with them.
Then, because I’d made more than 3 beads the same, I came up with these beads which I think of as “tutu beads”. I made a pair, thinking of earrings, but I think they will become the focal of the necklace I have in mind. I just need to order some findings so I can complete it. I’ll put that onto my to-do list…
This week I decided to make a polymer clay toggle to go with the water lilies beads I made previously. I still haven’t got round to working out more interesting mechanics for the toggles so it’s back to the circle and bar design.
It is pretty chunky though.
I feel a necklace coming on ;)
I like the painterly effect created by adding mica powder unevenly.
They remind me of Monet’s paintings of water lilies, so that’s what I’ve named them. ;)